Deciding on a new kitchen can be challenging and it can be difficult to know where to begin. A good place to start when planning the layout of your kitchen is to make sure you have an effective working triangle, where the sink, fridge and oven/hob are positioned in a triangular shape so everything is within easy reach. Here are some key kitchen design tips so you can create your perfect kitchen:
- If your kitchen has high ceilings it is a good idea to have the wall units fitted right up to the ceiling, as the space between the top of the wall units and the ceiling is often wasted. With taller wall units you can store any items out of the way that you don’t use very often.
- If you are opting for a kitchen island unit and would like to use it as a breakfast bar you to need to make sure it measures 40mm taller than the base units, this allows the seating to fit easily beneath.
- A good idea to make your kitchen work more effectively is to keep your utensils close to where you use them the most, which is usually near the oven/hob.
- When planning your new kitchen make sure that you will have a good amount of worktop space, especially next to the sink area where you are most likely to be preparing food.
- If you have a spacious kitchen think about installing units at different levels, this is a good way to introduce variety into your kitchen plan and allows you to separate the space into separate areas for washing up and cooking etc.
- Deciding to make use of a large kitchen island is an ideal way to create extra storage and surface space, and they can also be used to house any appliances such as a dishwasher, but you need to make sure that plumbing and electricity can be supplied to the kitchen island.
- Create organistaion in your kitchen by opting for drawer dividers so you can find items easily and so that everything has its own place.
- Make sure you choose a good extractor fan, especially if you have an open plan layout, opt for one that has an automatic run-on function that will continue to clean the air after you have finished cooking.
- A traditional kitchen usually has the sink positioned under the window, but if you want to use your kitchen as a social space consider installing the sink in an island unit so you can easily interact with guests and family members.